Decluttr Review: Cashing in on Your Unwanted Tech, Media and Games (2019)
SOME LINKS IN THIS POST MAY BE FROM OUR SPONSORS. POLICY PAGE
If you have moved houses recently, you probably know how hard it is to move everything from one place to another. You probably dug up old stuff that you had forgotten about.
You might have found old DVDs, video games you no longer play, music CD’s (your collection of the Weezer’s all-time classics) and old outdated tech that you have no use for.
When you find such items, you either give them away or put them up on eBay or Craigslist and wait till someone buys them.
This is where Decluttr comes in. In this Decluttr review, you’ll find out how this handy app provides you the opportunity to get rid of all your unwanted tech, gadgets, DVD’s, Blu-rays, books, music CD’s and video games and even LEGOs!
How does Decluttr help?
As the name suggests, Decluttr helps you neaten up your space by helping you sell the items that take up space around your house.
Tech, gadgets, and DVDs cost a fortune when they’re new so it’s only understandable that you would be hesitant to let them go. After all, you invested your hard-earned money on these items. However, such items are usually outdated because of constant technological advancement.
Decluttr lets you sell these items to them – all you need to do is ship the item/s to the Decluttr offices (for free!) and their team of specialist will inspect it/them and send you a quotation price on it. If you are happy with their quote, you can receive the money, and if you’re not, you can ask for the item back (also free shipping).
What is Decluttr?
Launched in January 2014, the founders of musicMagpie, Steve Oliver and Walter Green started Decluttr to make people’s lives easier by giving them a platform to sell their tech and DVD’s.
With competitors like eBay and Craigslist, their competitive edge is that they provide you with a professional guarantee and a complete report of the used product that details the condition of the item.
They have paid over $165 million to more than 4 million customers.
It is a convenient option for sellers who don’t wish to sell to the buyers directly – Decluttr buys the items from the sellers and then sells it on their website.
Getting Started with Decluttr
After you have signed in on Decluttr, you can start selling your tech and DVDs.
Decluttr provides you with the option of using your phone’s camera to scan the barcodes of the items you want to sell. After analyzing the bar code, the app gives you an estimated price based on the make, model and year. This estimate is the average amount you may earn by selling it.
If you choose to go ahead with the deal, first you ship the item to Decluttr for free. After that, they will inspect the item and create a report detailing the condition and the price quote. If you choose to go ahead with the sale, you will be paid the following day. Finally, if you are not satisfied, Decluttr will return the item free of cost.
Selling on Decluttr
All you need to do is scan the item’s barcode to sell it, and if your camera is not working you can manually put in the barcode.
The app will use the barcode to work out the make, model and year of the item and give you an estimate how much your item is worth in the market currently.
If you choose to continue, you will ship the item to the Decluttr warehouse where they will inspect the item and produce a well-rounded report that serves to provide an overview of the item and its condition. Based on that report, Decluttr will provide you with a final selling price.
If you’re satisfied with the price, you can go ahead and Decluttr will pay you the following day through one of the following ways:
- Direct deposit
- Check via the mail
If the quoted price is unacceptable, Decluttr will ship your item back to you free of cost.
All the shipping involved in the process is absolutely free for the seller.
Buying on Decluttr
You can’t make purchases on the app itself, but you can buy items on the Decluttr store website.
If you are looking to buy second-hand tech or DVDs with a 12-month warranty, you can go to the Decluttr store on your device.
You will find that they provide exclusive deals. The rest of the products can be found under cellphones, tech, music, film & TV, and gaming.
The best part about it is that the shipping is free and most of the items are refurbished so you receive the optimal product.
When buying, you are directly interacting with the Decluttr store, so if you find a problem with a product, Decluttr is liable for it.
- 12-Month Warranty: Decluttr provides a 12-month warranty on all items sold. If someone wants to make a claim, they can do so by going directly to Decluttr. The seller’s job is done as soon as he/she sells their item to Decluttr.
- Student Offers: Decluttr provides additional benefits for students who can receive up to 10% extra cash for their sales to Decluttr. All you need to do is register through Student Beans to verify your student status.
- Veteran Offers: Military officers and veterans can receive up to 12.5% extra cash on selling their stuff. All you need to do is verify your military status and you will receive your coupon.
- Deals: Decluttr constantly offers deals to users as an incentive to make more sales or purchases. You need to check the terms and conditions and make sure you are eligible for them.
- Wholesale: Decluttr provides a wholesale option for unique customers, provided your order is acceptable and doable. They have a vast inventory of tech, DVD’s, etc. and stores may buy in bulk from the Decluttr website.
Signing up for Decluttr
Signing up on Decluttr is pretty straightforward, just follow the steps below:
- Download the free Decluttr app through your Google Play Store or Apple Store.
- Register with your email address and set up a secure password.
- You are all set up and can start selling your unwanted tech, DVD’s, books, etc.
Who is Decluttr for?
People who have a hard time throwing away old tech, DVDs and video games are the primary focus of Decluttr. Most of the time, such items are forgotten or stowed away to gather dust in some corner of the house because it seems like a waste to throw them away.
Decluttr provides an easy way to give new life to your used things. On top of that, you earn good money in the process!
For buyers, Decluttr offers a large inventory of used items on sale at affordable prices without the added worry about the condition or quality of it.
Is Decluttr legit?
When you Google Decluttr, you’ll mostly find good ratings and satisfied customers.
Apps like LetGo and OfferUp suffer from bad reviews because they are not involved in the transactional process. Decluttr mostly has good reviews because it is directly involved in the process, it deals with buyers and sellers separately and acts as a merchant.
Decluttr has a five-star rating on Trustpilot after 5000+ reviews, which goes to show the satisfaction of the general public.
The reason some people have a bad experience with Decluttr is that they don’t understand the true value of their items themselves. It is obvious that a person would want as much money out of their product as possible, but they will only receive that amount if their item’s condition warrants that price.
Decluttr provides a detailed report of the condition your product is in and tells you exactly what the problem is, and why they have quoted the price that is being asked. They provide a detailed report, so if you still feel you are being cheated in any way, you should contact the support staff and ask for a reevaluation.
In order to make the most of DeCluttr, here are a few things to remember:
The condition of the item matters
It is your sole responsibility to make sure that the items you are selling are in good condition and can be reused. You need to be honest and transparent about any potential faults it might have.
If you’re selling a book, DVD, CD, Blur-ray or game, you need to make sure they are in working condition and that their barcode is visible. If these conditions are not met, Decluttr terms and conditions dictate that these items would be sent for recycling and not returned.
In the case of tech and gadgets, if an additional problem is found, Decluttr will make you a revised offer on the product and if you do not accept it, they will return the item to you.
Payments and Shipping Time
Sellers leave complaints about long payment gaps. Decluttr pays the seller one day after they receive an item. However, shipped items take around 7-10 days to reach Decluttr’s warehouse in Atlanta. As soon as they receive the item they send out the payment the next day.
It can take longer for payments to be received if you opt for a direct deposit, which takes up to 3 days, with checks taking up to 10 days to clear and arrive. So if you want fast payments, go for the PayPal option.
Decluttr has experts that verify and analyze every single aspect of the products you send in. So it is important, to be honest about the condition of the product and disclose any and all faults that your item may have.
Advantages of Decluttr
- Easy to Use: It is extremely easy to use, as all you need to do is enter, or scan, the barcode of your item to get an estimate.
- Easy Money: You get paid to declutter your home. The team at Decluttr makes sure that you are paid a fair price for your item.
- Easy Shipping: You can pack your item in any kind of box to ship it. You just need to make sure that the label and barcode are completely visible. You will receive a shipping label by email, which needs to be printed and pasted on the box. Deliveries are supported by UPS and free of charge.
- No Waiting: You don’t have to put up your items for auction and wait for the highest bidder. You are quoted a single price for your item and there are no extra fees or hidden charges.
- Decluttr Refer a Friend: You will be paid an additional $10if you refer Decluttr to a friend and they use your referral code to make a purchase or sell something.
Disadvantages of Decluttr
- Not the Best Bang for your Buck: You may not receive the best price for your items. It is best to survey the internet to get an idea of the worth of your item. Do your research and make an informed decision on whether you want to sell your items or not.
- Mismanagement of Items: There have been reports of people receiving the wrong product. At times, Decluttr may mix up your items and send you the wrong payment or product. Do not worry though, just contact support and solve the matter.
- No Return on Non-Tech Items: If your DVDs, games, Blu-rays or books do not pass the quality standards of Decluttr, they will not be returned. You won’t receive any money for them. Instead, these items will be sent for recycling.
- No Premiums: If you are looking to sell an unused item or a boxed item, you may need to look elsewhere because Decluttr treats everything as second-hand items. You will not receive any premium for selling an unused item.
- Slow Payments: This is mostly because Decluttr only pays the day after it receives the item and shipping times are long so it takes longer to reach Decluttr. Additionally, direct deposits and checks may take longer because they need to be processed and mailed.
Is Decluttr worth your time?
Absolutely! Our Decluttr review found the app to be a great way to declutter your place up.
Where apps like LetGo and OfferUp fail because of dishonest people, Decluttr succeeds because they buy the items from the sellers and then sell them to the buyers on their store leaving zero room for any wrongdoing.
If you want to get rid of old tech or media items, sell them to Decluttr, if they are in good condition, someone may just need or want it!
You could go to eBay, Amazon or Craigslist to sell your items at a slightly higher price, but you’ll have to go through a much more vigorous and lengthy process. You will have to put up pictures and descriptions, and probably pay for the shipping too.
It has one of the easiest user interfaces and is extremely straightforward to use. You can sell your item with minimal effort. All you need is a box, the printed label and the scanned barcode of the items and you’re good to go.
Not many companies provide such convenience to their customers. This gives apps like Decluttr a competitive advantage over their competitors.
So cash in on your old tech, media, and games and declutter your home by downloading the Decluttr app.
Already using Decluttr? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!